RAPID’L.mono™ medium is a selective chromogenic medium for direct detection and enumeration of Listeria monocytogenes and Listeria spp. in food and environmental samples.
A Multipurpose Agar
RAPID’L.mono medium is the only chromogenic method to be validated for L. monocytogenes and Listeria spp. detection on the same plate. RAPID’L. mono agar can also be used for enumeration or confirmation of L. monocytogenes.
- L. monocytogenes detection 24 hr after enrichment*
- Listeria spp. detection 24 and 48 hr after enrichment
- L. monocytogenes enumeration in 24 hr without confirmation**
- L. monocytogenes confirmation in 24 hr after using the iQ-Check® Listeria monocytogenes II kit
Rapid and Economical Method
With the RAPID’L.mono detection protocol, full results can be obtained within 48 hr using one plate and one broth.
Reading and differentiation of L. monocytogenes are easy due to the unique chromogenic principle (PIPLC activity) of RAPID’L.mono medium and the fermentation of a sugar (xylose).
The blue colonies are L. monocytogenes (PIPLC+/xylose–).
The blue colonies with a yellow halo are L. ivanovii (PIPLC+/xylose+).
The white colonies with or without a yellow halo are other Listeria spp. (PIPLC–/xylose+ or –).
RAPID’L.mono medium is very specific; other bacteria and yeasts are inhibited.
Easy and economical confirmation is also validated in the RAPID’L.mono protocol by spot inoculation on Agar Listeria (AL agar) or by the Rhamnose test in 6 hr.
RAPID’L.mono chromogenic plating agar can be used
- As a second selective medium in different standardized protocols (for example, ISO 11290 reference method)
- To confirm positive iQ-Check Listeria monocytogenes II tests
- To enumerate L. monocytogenes in 24 hr without confirmation
* Within the scope of ISO 16140 NordVal validation, no confirmation is required.
** Within the scope of the AFNOR validation, confirmation is not required when the presence of L. monocytogenes has been confirmed at the detection stage.