The PROTEAN® II xi cell is a large format vertical electrophoresis cell that is used for the most common electrophoretic techniques such as SDS-PAGE, native electrophoresis, and agarose gel electrophoresis. The PROTEAN II xi cell is available in two sizes to accommodate up to four* 16 x 16 cm or 16 x 20 cm gels.
- Accommodates handcast gels
- Patented single-screw clamps on the casting stand that exert uniform pressure along the entire length of the glass plates provide a leakproof seal without agarose plugs or grease
- Central cooling core can be connected to tap water or a cooled recirculating bath, or filled with coolant, providing smile-free patterns with as little as 1.5 L of buffer
- Choice of glass plates, spacers, and sandwich clamps to cast 2 gel lengths, 16 or 20 cm
- Ability to cast multiple gradient gels using the PROTEAN II multi-gel casting chamber, the Model 495 gradient former, and the appropriate exponential piston. Use of the gel clip facilitates handling of large gels
- Notched plates allow up to four 16 x 16 cm or 16 x 20 cm handcast gels to be run simultaneously (not recommended for 2-D applications)
- Optional frosted glass plates allow high-resolution vertical agarose electrophoresis of nucleic acids
- Comb conversion screws convert any PROTEAN II xi comb from a standard 25 mm well depth to a 10 mm depth to simplify comb removal
PROTEAN II IPG Conversion Kits for 2-D Applications
Conversion kits expand the capabilities of the PROTEAN II xi cell to include applications such as tube gel IEF and second-dimension SDS-PAGE. To convert the PROTEAN II xi cell into a:
- PROTEAN xi 2-D cell — use available adaptors and other accessories to accommodate 16 tube gels for IEF applications
- PROTEAN II XL cell — use the PROTEAN II IPG conversion kit for second-dimension electrophoresis of 17 cm IPG strips
Each cell includes the central cooling core with gaskets, lower buffer chamber, lid with cables, 2 sets of glass plates, 4 sandwich clamps, upper buffer dam, casting stand with gaskets, leveling bubble, and instructions. The 16 cm cells include clamps for running 16 cm gels; the 20 cm cells include clamps for 20 cm gels. Cells without combs and spacers (catalog #165-1801 and #165-1811) allow you to select the spacer thickness and comb that best fit your application. See the Accessories tab for a list of available combs and spacers.
Use the filters below to refine results!