Note: This kit can be modified to accommodate individual workstations in socially-distanced classrooms.
Download instructions for modification.
Bio-Rad's pGLO Bacterial Transformation Kit is the classic kit for teaching the central dogma and the basics of genetic engineering. In this bacterial transformation lab activity, students use the pGLO plasmid to transform bacteria to express green fluorescent protein (GFP) from the bioluminescent jellyfish Aequorea victoria, which causes the bacteria to glow green under UV light. Explore the concept of DNA > RNA > Protein > Trait and the roles that external and internal factors play in gene regulation.
Features and Benefits
- Hands-on genetic engineering — from handling plasmids to performing heat shock and plating the transformants, students perform the same transformation protocol used by scientists on a daily basis around the world
- Visible, dramatic phenotype — bacteria transformed with pGLO glow a brilliant fluorescent green under UV light. Once students transform bacteria with pGLO, they never forget the central dogma of molecular biology: DNA > RNA > Protein > Trait — Green Fluorescence
- Gene expression and gene regulation — bacteria transformed with pGLO show green fluorescence only when they are grown in the presence of arabinose. Use this experiment to illustrate that not all genes are expressed at the same time and that environmental factors control when gene expression takes place
Each pGLO Bacterial Transformation Kit:
- Includes consumables and reagents for 8 student workstations, with up to 4 students per workstation
- Supports lab activities designed for two 50-minute sessions
pGLO Resources for Teachers
pGLO Plasmid Map and Resources
Learn more about how the pGLO plasmid system works, links to videos, activities, and more.
pGLO PowerPoint Presentation
Download an editable, student-facing presentation for classroom use.
Find the kit instruction manual, student quick guide, and more under the Documents tab of this page.
Bio-Rad’s Family of pGLO Bacterial Transformation and GFP Kits
Bio-Rad offers a selection of kits for teaching about pGLO bacterial transformation, gene expression, and the green fluoresecent protein (GFP).
pGLO Bacterial Transformation Kits
A selection of pGLO bacterial transformation kits to help you meet your specific learning objectives
|pGLO Bacterial Transformation Kit||pGLO Bacterial Transformation Kit for General Biology||pGLO Bacterial Transformation and Inquiry Kit for AP Biology|
|Overview||A laboratory skills-based approach to bacterial transformation; students follow a robust protocol for a well-controlled experiment while analyzing the details of the technique||A highly scaffolded three-dimensional approach to bacterial transformation and gene expression; students design their own step-wise experiments and write and revise models and scientific explanations||An inquiry-based approach to bacterial transformation through experimental optimization; students ask their own questions and conduct multiple experiments to refine the parameters of the technique|
|Primarily curriculum concepts||
artificial selection, experimental design, laboratory skills
||Flexible to fit a range of class periods|
pGLO and Green Fluorescent Protein (GFP) Kits
pGLO extension activities for investigating the properties and purification of the green fluorescent protein (GFP)
|pGLO SDS-PAGE Extension*||Green Fluorescent Protein Chromatography Kit*||Secrets of the Rainforest Kit|
|Overview||Use protein electrophoresis (SDS-PAGE) to view the expression of proteins in pGLO bacteria||Use chromatography to purify glowing green fluorescent protein from pGLO bacteria (GFP)||Simulate the drug discovery process in your classroom with a glowing protein (GFP)|
|Primary curriculum concepts||Protein expression, electrophoresis||Protein expression, protein structure and function, chromatography||Cloning and screening bacterial libraries, protein purification, chromatography, process and ethics of drug development|
This kit is a resource for the HOSA competitive event in Biotechnology. To learn more, visit HOSA.org or bio-rad.com/HOSA.
This hands-on activity is integrated with the Lt Biology Collection, the online learning platform from ADInstruments.
Translations of the Instructor and Student Guide in Spanish (Español), French (Français), and German (Deutsch) are available on the Kit Manual Translations page.
Use the filters below to refine results!
Gene expression analysis classroom kit, includes GFP encoding plasmid, nutrient broth/powder, petri dishes, UV pen light, and more, for 32 students; education use only, download free manual
60 mm agar plates; education use only