The ELISA Immuno Explorer Kit utilizes a technique referred to as enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) to detect the presence of an antibody or an antigen in a sample. The protocol uses two antibodies, one of which is specific to the antigen and another that is coupled to an enzyme. This second antibody gives the assay its enzyme-linked name and causes a chromogenic substrate to produce color wherever it is bound. ELISA is a powerful antibody-based biodetection tool used in the field to hunt for pathogens in water, food, or air, whether they emerge naturally or through acts of aggression.
- Integrates multiple core content areas
- Facilitates teaching about immune system functions and the unique properties of antibodies that have revolutionized medicine, epidemiology, and life science research
With this kit, students are able to:
- Perform a genuine diagnostic procedure
- Simulate real-world HIV, GMO, pregnancy, or drug testing
Three approaches to ELISA can be taken with this kit to teach either biodefense, immunology, or health science. Individual curriculum guides and instructions for each protocol are included in the kit, complete with Teachers Guides and Student Manuals.
- One 45 min laboratory activity
- Provides sufficient materials for twelve student workstations, up to four students per workstation
Download this Zombie Apocalypse activity for a fun way to use the ELISA Immuno Explorer Kit in your classroom