RAPID'Staph Medium is a selective agar used for the direct enumeration of coagulase-positive staphylococci (Staphylococcus aureus and other species) in products intended for human or animal consumption or in environmental samples.
- Results in 24 hr after 24 hr of enrichment
- Highly selective and easy to read
- Choice of two methods for easy confirmation
The principle of RAPID'Staph Medium is based on an optimized Baird-Parker formula to guarantee the detection and enumeration of S. aureus in 24 hr at 37°C. Typical staphylococci produce gray to black colonies that are shiny and convex (1–2 mm) with a clear 2–5 mm halo due to proteolysis of the egg yolk.
Presumptive colonies can be confirmed using one of the following methods:
- Pastorex™ Staph-Plus Latex Agglutination Test (56356) with results within minutes
- Spot inoculation on Baird-Parker + RPF agar (3563996) to confirm many colonies on the same plate
RAPID'Staph Chromogenic Assay
|Potassium tellurite reduction||+||+|
|Egg yolk proteolysis||+||-|
When using the dehydrated broth base, Egg Yolk with Potassium Tellurite Supplement (3554201), (3554205) and Sulfamethazine Solution Supplement (3562682) need to be added to the molten agar prior to pouring plates.
Use the filters below to refine results!