Teaching General Biology?
See Photosynthesis and Cellular Respiration Kit for General Biology
Teach both photosynthesis and cellular respiration simultaneously in a single lab. The Photosynthesis and Cellular Respiration Kit for AP Biology is a fun, easy to use, and more reliable alternative to the leaf disk and microrespirometer labs. Use the novel algae beads in this kit to help you dispel the common student misconception that plants do only photosynthesis, and only animals do cellular respiration.
Students will explore both photosynthesis and cellular respiration in a single organism (an alga) using a simple colorimetric assay to yield qualitative and/or quantitative results. The included student and teacher manuals will guide you and your students through a series of structured, guided, and open inquiry investigations.
Introduction to Algae Beads, Photosynthesis, and Cellular Respiration
Features and Benefits
The Photosynthesis and Cellular Respiration Kit is a ThINQ!™ Investigation, designed to make students think through scientific discovery. This kit contains curriculum and sufficient materials for eight student workstations to complete the following activities:
- 3 pre-lab activities — to review concepts and help students make cross-connections
- 6 inquiry investigations:
- 2 structured inquiry investigations — to familiarize students with the core experiment and use of the scientific method
- 4 open/guided inquiry investigations — to lead students through asking scientific questions, designing experiments, and analyzing results
- 1 AP-style post-lab assessment question — to test student learning
- 1 science case study — to apply student knowledge in real-world science scenarios
The Instructor's Guide gives you the tools to lead your class through multiple levels of inquiry:
- Teachable moment suggestions to help your students through the inquiry process
- Sample experimental designs and results for the inquiry investigations
- Tips and tricks suggested by teachers and scientists to help you save time, conserve supplies, and avoid common mistakes
- Answer key to the student manual (Science Case Study, Post-Lab Assessment, ThINQ! and Focus Questions)
- Alignment with the 2012 AP curriculum (essential knowledge, learning objectives, and science practices) to cover AP Big Idea 2 and cross-cut to Big Ideas 1 and 4
Use Bio-Rad's free teaching resources to enhance your students' learning experience with the Photosynthesis and Cellular Respiration Kit.
How It Works
The algae beads (microalgae encapsulated in alginate) included in this kit are easy to handle and can be used for multiple experiments. The algae beads are incubated in a CO2 indicator solution that is sensitive to changes in pH caused by gaseous CO2 dissolving in water to form carbonic acid according to this equilibrium:
CO2 + H2O ⇔ H2CO3 ⇔ HCO3 + H+
The experimental setup of the Photosynthesis and Cellular Respiration Kit allows students to track photosynthesis by CO2 consumption and cellular respiration by CO2 production.
See the Documents tab for teaching resources and supporting materials such as:
Use the filters below to refine results!
120 V, 6 L water bath, ambient to 100°C, includes stainless steel tank and gable cover, over-temperature protection, non-mercury thermometer, CE approved; education use only
Pkg of 100, 3.5 ml cuvette; education use only