Teaching AP Biology?
See Photosynthesis and Cellular Respiration Kit for AP Biology
Teach both photosynthesis and cellular respiration simultaneously in a single lab — with algae beads! The Photosynthesis and Cellular Respiration Kit for General Biology is a fun, easy-to-use, and more reliable alternative to the leaf disk and microrespirometer labs. The simple algae bead system in this kit is a great tool for students to learn experimental design and can help you dispel the common student misconception that plants only do photosynthesis.
Features and Benefits
The Photosynthesis and Cellular Respiration Kit for General Biology was designed with Next Generation Science Standards* (NGSS) experts and teachers to help you meet the NGSS requirements for general biology. Students will engage in 3-dimensional learning as they explore both energy processes.
- Lessons and content designed for the NGSS
- All the consumables and reagents for 3 classes of 8 student workstations (24 total workstations)
- Reusable algae beads for multiple class periods
- Instructor’s Manual with lesson plans, graphical preparation instructions, and thorough troubleshooting information
This kit contains curriculum and sufficient materials for 3 classes of 8 student work stations (24 total workstations)
- Day 1: Observing a hands-on phenomenon — to spark curiosity and to ask questions
- Day 2: Planning an experiment with algae beads — to lead students through asking scientific questions and designing experiments
- Days 3–4: Collecting data and constructing scientific explanations — to involve students in authentic scientific inquiry
- Day 4: Answering post lab questions — to apply gained knowledge in new scenarios
How it Works
The algae beads (microalgae immobilized in alginate) included in this kit are easy to handle and can be used for multiple experiments. The algae beads are incubated in a CO2 indicator solution that is sensitive to changes in pH caused by gaseous CO2 dissolving in water to form carbonic acid according to this equilibrium:
CO2 + H2O ⇔ H2CO3 ⇔ HCO3– + H+
The experimental setup of the Photosynthesis and Cellular Respiration Kit allows students to track photosynthesis by CO2 consumption and cellular respiration by CO2 production.
|For General Biology (12005534EDU)||For AP Biology (17001238EDU)|
|Curriculum level||General Biology||AP Biology|
|Learning focus||Developing scientific explanations of observed phenomena, 3-dimensional learning||Quantitative data collection and experimental design|
|Kit contents||Materials for 24 student workstations to perform pre-lab activities and 2 inquiry investigations||Materials for 8 student workstations to perform pre-lab activities and 6 inquiry investigations|
Use the filters below to refine results!
Photosynthesis and cellular respiration kit includes answer key, algae beads, 10x CO2 indicator solution, debeading solution, PCR tubes, disposable plastic transfer pipets, and indicator color guides for 24 student workstations; education use only
Pkg of 1, 170 algae beads, 50 ml 10x CO2 indicator, and 20 ml debeading solution for use with Photosynthesis and Cellular Respiration Kit (17001238EDU); education use only. Requires storage at 4°C.