Using CRISPR in your research?
See Bio-Rad’s Solutions for Gene Editing Workflows
Real CRISPR Gene Editing - in Your Classroom
Perform true CRISPR gene editing in your laboratory class!
CRISPR gene editing is revolutionizing scientific research. Now your students can do real CRISPR-Cas9 gene editing in the classroom using Bio-Rad's educational CRISPR gene editing kits.
- Out of the Blue CRISPR Kit — apply CRISPR-Cas9 technology to disrupt the lacZ gene in E. coli and produce a phenotype that can be readily visualized through blue-white screening
- Out of the Blue CRISPR Genotyping Extension — (optional) confirm the edit at the molecular level using PCR and agarose gel electrophoresis
The Out of the Blue CRISPR and Genotyping Extension Kits earned the 2020 Science Educators’ Best of Show award for “Best New Technology Innovation for Science” from the National Science Teaching Association (NSTA).
Features and Benefits
- Hands-on, true CRISPR gene editing — students get direct experience with this powerful technology
- Visible phenotype — results can be observed with the naked eye in as little as 22 hr
- Safe — familiar and common reagents and non-pathogenic, non-biofilm-forming bacteria generate a phenotype that is common to molecular biology
- Accessible — does not require specialized equipment or techniques
- Comprehensive, supportive curriculum — includes background about the components of a CRISPR-Cas9 system, the science — and math — behind its accuracy and flexibility, and the guided bioinformatic analysis of CRISPR targets students design themselves
Modeling the components of the CRISPR-Cas9 System
Use a paper model to understand the components of the CRISPR-Cas9 system and the math behind its accuracy
lacZ CRISPR Gene Editing Laboratory
Use CRISPR-Cas9 to edit the lacZ gene in E. coli
Genotyping Laboratory (Optional)*
Use PCR and gel electrophoresis to confirm the edit in transformants
Identification and Bioinformatic Analysis of Cas9 Target Sites in Human Disease
Use bioinformatics to design Cas9 target sites in the human genome and determine risk for off-target effect
Learn More About CRISPR Gene Editing
Appreciating the unique capabilities and limitations of CRISPR enriches the conversation around its applications and ethics in research, agriculture, and medicine. Additional resources can be found below.
Use our PowerPoint Presentation
Use this student-facing slide deck, modifying it as needed, to help guide your students through the CRISPR-Cas9 gene editing lab activity.
Download the presentation
What Will You Need to Do CRISPR?
The Out of the Blue CRISPR Kit provides all the plasmids, bacterial strains, culture reagents, and plastics to perform CRISPR gene editing in the classroom. Each kit supports 32 students or 8 student workstations; reagent refill packs are also available.
See the Lab Preparation Checklist for information about all required recommended supplies.
For the Out of the Blue CRISPR Kit
(Water bath or digital dry bath)
(2–20 µl and 20–200 µl;
1,000 µl recommended)
For the Out of the Blue Genotyping Extension
(T100 or equivalent)
PowerPac Power Supply
(PowerPac Basic or equivalent)
This hands-on activity is integrated with the Lt Biology Collection, the online learning platform from ADInstruments.
Translations of the Instructor and Student Guide in Spanish (Español), French (Français), and German (Deutsch) are available on the Kit Manual Translations page.
Use the filters below to refine results!
CRISPR-Cas9 gene editing kit (12012608EDU) and genotyping extension kit (120126078EDU) package with agarose powder, Fast Blast DNA stain, and buffer. For educational use only — not for self-administration.