The Cloning and Sequencing Explorer Series gives your students the tools to perform novel research and contribute to the world's body of scientific knowledge. Over 8 modules, students use classic and cutting-edge molecular biology techniques to clone and sequence a portion of the GAPC gene from a plant of their choice. GAPC is a housekeeping gene in the glyeraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase (GAPDH) family and is well conserved among plants.
The Cloning and Sequencing Explorer Series guides students through the following experimental workflow steps:
- Extract genomic DNA from plants
- Amplify a GAPDH gene using PCR and analyze using electrophoresis
- Purify the PCR product
- Ligate the PCR product into a plasmid
- Transform the ligated plasmid into bacteria
- Grow minipreps of the transformed bacteria
- Isolate plasmid DNA and analyze by restriction digestion
- Sequence plasmid DNA (sequencing service not included)
- Analyze GAPDH gene sequence using bioinformatics
Features and Benefits
Designed by undergraduate and community college educators, this course was specifically developed to engage your students in authentic research, while ensuring success for both you and them. Tailored experimental controls allow your students to:
- Continue the experiment to its conclusion even with negative results
- Make mistakes, learn from them, and still complete every step of the workflow
- Experience firsthand the satisfaction of completing a successful research project
- Apply molecular biology skills and techniques to complete a real-world research project
The Cloning and Sequencing Explorer Series allows students to apply molecular biology skills and techniques to complete a real-world research project, potentially encouraging them to pursue a career in research.
Now with Geneious Prime!
The Cloning and Sequencing Explorer Series now includes a 4-month subscription to Geneious Prime Bioinformatics Software to support your students' scientific discovery.
For more information, visit the Sequencing and Bioinformatics Module product page.
- 6–8 week series of laboratory activities made up of eight modular kits
- Provides sufficient materials for 12 student workstations, up to four students per workstation
- Sequencing service not included.
Use the filters below to refine results!