Note:This kit can be modified to accommodate at-home use as well as individual workstations in socially-distanced classrooms.
Download instructions for modification.
Introduce your students to molecular biology with their own DNA using the Genes in a Bottle Kit. Enable your students to see the normally invisible substance of life and begin to comprehend the meaning of their own genetic makeup. In this activity, students employ the same real-world laboratory procedure used in a variety of biotechnology research applications to extract DNA from many different organisms. Students extract genomic DNA from their own cheek cells, then precipitate and bottle it in a cool helix-shaped necklace. From cell structure to genetics to the chemistry of life, this kit integrates multiple life science standards in a single lesson.
Features and Benefits
- Can be used as an introductory or capstone activity
- Requires no special equipment or stains
With this kit, students are able to:
- Perform real research techniques
- Collect cheek cells, then extract, precipitate, and bottle their DNA
Applications and Uses
This kit offers learning opportunities for all levels of instruction.
- For middle school students, it's a perfect introduction to the exciting world of DNA science
- For secondary and college level instruction, lessons on DNA structure and function, cell structure, and enzyme function can be introduced or reinforced with this laboratory
Home Edition Genes in a Bottle Kit — Now Available
Everything you need for two (2) people to isolate and make a unique DNA necklace. The kit includes 7 activities and educational instructions for a fun, hands-on activity to learn about DNA, genetics, and heredity.
Purchasing the Home Edition Kit
Order from Amazon.com
Information for Retailers
If you’re interested in selling the Home Edition Genes in a Bottle kits, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Use the filters below to refine results!
Introductory DNA classroom study kit, includes buffer, protease + salt, test tubes/holders, disposable pipets, curriculum, and all materials to make DNA necklaces, for 36 students; education use only
Module of the Genes in a Bottle Kit (#166-2300EDU), includes helix vials, caps, and cord to make DNA necklaces, for 36 students; education use only