The Crime Scene Investigator PCR Basics™ Kit is an introductory PCR kit that allows students to simulate DNA profiling as it is commonly used in forensic laboratories. The laboratory activity is designed to introduce the concepts of PCR, which is widely used in forensics, diagnostics, and archaeological procedures. The laboratory is performed without the need for complex genomic DNA extraction steps.
Features and Benefits
With this kit, students are able to:
- Perform real-world DNA profiling
- Use PCR to amplify multiple DNA samples
- Use agarose gel electrophoresis to visualize results
DNA profiling determines the exact genotype of a DNA sample, distinguishing one human being from another by identifying each person's unique DNA "bar code." This powerful tool aids investigations of crime scenes, missing persons, mass disasters, immigration disputes, and paternity. Crime scenes often contain tiny biological specimens (blood, semen, hairs, saliva, bones, pieces of skin) from which DNA can be extracted. The reason DNA profiling is so useful for forensic scientists is that a definitive DNA profile can be obtained from a minute biological sample using the power of DNA amplification afforded by polymerase chain reaction (PCR).
- Two–session laboratory activity, 45 min per session
- Provides sufficient materials for eight student workstations, up to four students per workstation