Introduce your students to molecular biology with their own DNA using the Genes in a Bottle™ Kit. Enable your students to see the normally invisible substance of life and begin to comprehend the meaning of their own genetic makeup. In this activity, students employ the same real-world laboratory procedure used in a variety of biotechnology research applications to extract DNA from many different organisms. Students extract genomic DNA from their own cheek cells, then precipitate and bottle it in a cool helix-shaped necklace. From cell structure to genetics to the chemistry of life, this kit integrates multiple life science standards in a single lesson.
Features and Benefits
- Can be used as an introductory or capstone activity
- Requires no special equipment or stains
With this kit, students are able to:
- Perform real research techniques
- Collect cheek cells, then extract, precipitate, and bottle their DNA
Applications and Uses
This kit offers learning opportunities for all levels of instruction.
- For middle school students, it's a perfect introduction to the exciting world of DNA science
- For secondary and college level instruction, lessons on DNA structure and function, cell structure, and enzyme function can be introduced or reinforced with this laboratory
- Contains 1 DNA Extraction Module and 1 DNA Helix Necklace Module
- Includes a 2-session laboratory activity (45 min per session)
- Provides sufficient materials for 9 student workstations (makes 36 necklaces)
NEW! Home Edition Genes in a Bottle Kit — Now Available
Everything you need for two (2) people to isolate and make a unique DNA necklace. The kit includes 7 activities and educational instructions for a fun, hands-on activity to learn about DNA, genetics, and heredity.
Purchasing the Home Edition Kit
Order from one of our vendors using the links below:
Information for Retailers
If you’re interested in selling the Home Edition Genes in a Bottle kits, please contact us at email@example.com.