Bio-Rad's V3 Western Workflow is a five-step approach to streamlining your western blotting protocol. The V3 Western Workflow facilitates speed and validation at each step of a western blotting experiment — from running gels to quantifying proteins.
The complete V3 Western Workflow incorporates traditional blotting techniques with innovative tools, such as TGX Stain-Free™ precast gels, the Trans-Blot® Turbo™ system, and the ChemiDoc™ MP imager, to quickly check electrophoresis results and blot transfer quality prior to western blotting. This simplifies total protein quantitation analysis post-immunodetection and obtains results faster.
A simpler version of the V3 Western Workflow includes the Gel Doc™ EZ imager, a non-chemiluminescent capable system, in place of the ChemiDoc MP imager. This allows you to quickly check electrophoresis results and blot transfers while using traditional film detection for the chemiluminescent blot image.
- Separate proteins — Mini-PROTEAN® TGX Stain-Free™ precast gels and Criterion™ TGX Stain-Free™ precast gels offer superior protein separation with fast run times and use standard Tris/glycine running buffers. TGX Stain-Free precast gels contain a unique technology formulated into the gel chemistry that enables rapid, high-quality separation of proteins in as little as 15 minutes.
- Visualize proteins — protein separation can be visualized and confirmed using stain-free technology, which covalently binds proteins, after a 1-minute activation on a Gel Doc EZ or ChemiDoc MP imager. This allows the immediate visualization of proteins across the whole gel without staining. Stain-free technology is a sensitive, time-saving alternative to traditional Coomassie staining, offering a streamlined workflow.
- Transfer proteins — the Trans-Blot Turbo system is a rapid protein transfer apparatus that can reduce transfer protocols to as little as 3 minutes while maintaining high-efficiency protein transfers across a wide range of molecular weights.
- Verify protein transfer — the Gel Doc EZ or ChemiDoc MP imagers paired with stain-free technology enable instant verification of protein transfer.
- Validate and quantitate — the fifth step, available only with a ChemiDoc MP imager and Image Lab™ software, may be used to validate western blotting data via total protein normalization. By normalizing to total protein, stripping and reprobing is no longer necessary. Image Lab software gives quantitative results instead of relative normalization.
The complete V3 Western Workflow is offered in two gel formats with the ChemiDoc MP imager:
- V3 Western Workflow complete system for mini precast gels (170-8292)
- V3 Western Workflow complete system for midi precast gels (170-8293)
The modified V3 Western Workflow with the Gel Doc EZ imager is also offered in two gel formats:
- V3 Western Workflow with Gel Doc EZ system for mini precast gels (170-8302)
- V3 Western Workflow with Gel Doc EZ system for midi precast gels (170-8303)
To select the best gel for your application, see the Mini Gel Selection Guide or the Midi Gel Selection Guide.
Visit the Applications and Technologies pages to learn more about the following: