siLentFect reagent is a high-efficiency cationic lipid developed for the transfection of cultured mammalian cells with short interfering RNA (siRNA). Effective delivery of the siRNA molecules is critical to the success of RNA interference (RNAi) applications. siLentFect has high affinity for the small siRNA molecules, which helps to achieve robust silencing of the target gene with low lipid volumes and low siRNA concentrations. siLentFect reagent is a powerful delivery tool that maximizes efficiency while minimizing cytotoxicity at optimal delivery concentrations.
siLentFect lipid reagent is a mixture of a proprietary cationic compound and a co-lipid. The blend has been optimized for the intracellular delivery of siRNAs into cultured mammalian cells in the presence of serum at cell densities from 50 to 90%. For most cell lines, high levels of gene silencing can be obtained using amounts of siLentFect reagent and siRNA suggested for given sizes of plates/wells.
RNAi is a powerful tool used to manipulate gene expression and allow researchers to determine gene function. RNAi is the sequence-specific gene silencing induced by double-stranded RNAs. siRNAs are double-stranded RNA molecules, typically 21–27 nucleotides in length that greatly stimulate gene-specific silencing. siLentFect reagent has been developed to produce exceptional delivery of siRNA to mammalian cells in culture.
- Effective — successfully transfect siRNA into a broad range of cell lines
- Economical — low volumes of lipid required per transfection help to minimize cell stress while saving money on each transfection
- Specific — use 5 nM or less siRNA for effective knockdown and reduce the risk of off-target effects
- Viable — low cytotoxicity facilitates robust knockdown while maintaining culture health
- Flexible — excellent performance at culture densities between 50 and 90% and in the presence or absence of serum-containing medium
Other Lipid Reagents
Bio-Rad offers a family of lipid transfection reagents, each of which is optimal for certain applications. siLentFect lipid reagent is an RNAi-specific lipid that is ideal for siRNA delivery. It can also be used to perform cotransfection with a small reporter-plasmid along with the siRNA molecule. TransFectin™ lipid reagent is a general-purpose lipid that is ideal for plasmid delivery.