The Protein Expression and Purification Series provides students with the opportunity to express, affinity purify, and evaluate enzymatic activity of DHFR. DHFR is an essential protein in nucleic acid synthesis and was one of the first targets for cancer chemotherapy. The scalability of this particular affinity purification process provides an adaptable set of techniques and content to match the goals of the beginning protein educator up to an advanced college level course in biomanufacturing. The series provides a fully developed and ready-to-go lab course, including relevant background, protocols that work, and student assessment.
Features and Benefits
Designed by undergraduate and community college educators, this course was specifically developed to ensure success for you and your students. The modular nature of the series allows you to choose from three different purification options depending on your teaching goals and equipment resources:
- Centrifugation Purification Process – allowing protein purification using a 16K Microcentrifuge
- Hand-packed Purification Process – for use with chromatographic purification instrumentation and allowing students to pour their own columns
- Prepacked Purification Process – providing the best experience with chromatographic purification instrumentation through the quality of prepacked cartridges
An Assessment Module is also available to complement the hands-on laboratory activities that the series provides. This unique assessment guide provides ideas for using formative assessment in your class to guide and increase learning while students perform the lab activities. At the end of the lab series use the summative assessment to evaluate the final learning levels of your students. The assessment tool is arranged according to learning levels so that you can choose what questions to modify instruction and evaluate the comprehension of your students.
The Protein Expression and Purification Series allows students to apply molecular biology skills and techniques to complete a real-world research-level project, potentially encouraging them to pursue a career in research.
- 3–5 weeks of laboratory activities made up of four modular kits
- Provides sufficient materials for 12 student workstations for the Centrifugation Purification Process and four student workstations for the Hand-packed and Prepacked Purification Processes, up to four students per workstation