Second Edition Now Available
- Updated science content with new topics including CRISPR technology
- More background on industrial biotechnology and biological drug development
- New student-centered lesson frameworks
- Over 30 new and updated vignettes spanning careers in biotech, bioethical issues, and biotechnology in the real world
Start or enhance your biotechnology course today with Biotechnology: A Laboratory Skills Course by J. Kirk Brown. This laboratory textbook blends science background and hands-on laboratory activities with real world applications to help prepare your students to be critical thinkers as biotechnology shapes their world.
- Integrated activities and concise science background to develop key laboratory skills
- Real world application and bioethics case studies to consider the broader implications of biotechnology
- Careers in biotechnology to broaden job option awareness
- Project ideas and extended background to support student research
Chapter 1 — The Biotechnology Industry
Chapter 2 — Laboratory Skills
Chapter 3 — Microbiology and Cell Culture
Chapter 4 — DNA Structure and Analysis
Chapter 5 — Bacterial Transformation and Plasmid Purification
Chapter 6 — The Polymerase Chain Reaction
Chapter 7 — Protein Structure and Analysis
Chapter 8 — Immunological Applications
Chapter 9 — Research ProjectsDownload
detailed chapter outlines of the student edition
Biotechnology: A Laboratory Skills Course incorporates Bio-Rad Explorer Kits which are supported by live technical support for easy implementation. The teacher supplement also provides thorough background information, preparation instructions, and implementation guides including:
- Activity timelines with stopping points
- Anticipated results and analysis
- Tips and safety information
- Opportunities for assessment
- Inventory tables and advanced preparation instructions
- Answers to pre-laboratory and post-laboratory questions
- Student-centered lesson frameworks
Download free Supplementary PowerPoint files for each chapter.
Watch free instructional videos for biotechnology laboratory techniques.
The student edition meets the Manufacturing Standards and Specifications for Textbooks (MSST) developed by the State Instructional Material Review Association (SIMRA).