Densitometers are based on high-performance document scanners utilizing visible light for analysis of electrophoresis gels and blots stained with visible dyes. Bio-Rad's GS-900™ Calibrated Densitometer can be used to image both gels and blots and has a linear response up to 3.0 optical units in gray levels.
GS-900 Calibrated Densitometer
Charge-coupled device (CCD) cameras operate with either transillumination, provided by UV or visible light boxes positioned underneath the gel or blot for imaging a variety of stains (Coomassie, silver, fluorescence), or epi-illumination, which detects blots using colorimetric or fluorescent techniques. Supercooled CCD cameras reduce image noise, allowing detection of faint luminescent signals.
The ability to visualize gels without a staining step has gained popularity recently. Stain-free technology has several advantages over staining procedures. In particular, it eliminates the need for a lengthy destaining step, makes visualization faster and more efficient, and eliminates disposal of organic waste generated during destaining. The stain-free enabled imagers come with an automated imaging and analysis system and give less background compared to traditional Coomassie staining procedures, thereby reducing variability between and within gels.
- The ChemiDoc MP System is a full-featured imaging system that offers the best RGB/NIR fluorescence and chemiluminescence western blot detection and image quality, features that are easy to learn with Image Lab Touch Software.
- The ChemiDoc Imaging System provides chemiluminescence sensitivity that matches x-ray film with the optional upgrade to fluorescence detection (ChemiDoc MP Imager).
- The ChemiDoc™ XRS+ System is the fastest completely automated detection system for chemiluminescence, fluorescence, and colorimetric imaging controlled by Image Lab Image Capture and Analysis Software
- The Gel Doc™ XR+ System is a fast, easy-to-use, completely automated gel imaging and documentation system controlled by Image Lab Image Capture and Analysis Software
- The Gel Doc™ EZ System is a compact and automated imaging system. Trays specific for different applications afford flexibility and the Image Lab™ Software provides publication-quality images and analyzed results with the push of a button
See the Imaging Systems Selection Guide below for full details of the capabilities of each imaging system.