Great ideas stem from inquiry!
Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) are essential to each other in order to develop products to meet our needs. In fact, it is difficult to separate each of these disciplines from one another when teaching real-world applications. The STEM electrophoresis kit is a unique introductory electrophoresis laboratory with true integration of STEM through the assembly of a horizontal agarose gel electrophoresis cell. Perform actual dye electrophoresis using the STEM electrophoresis kit with the IDEA kit — inquiry dye electrophoresis activity.
Features and Benefits
- Inquiry-based hands-on laboratory
- Kit can be completed in two 45-min laboratory sessions
- Visible results
- STEM integration
Applications and Uses
This kit offers learning opportunities for all levels of instruction:
- For secondary and college level instruction, students will learn about the various components of a horizontal gel electrophoresis cell and what their critical properties are in order to achieve optimal separation results
- For middle school instruction, students will get their first experience with a key biotechnology technique
- The IDEA kit — inquiry dye electrophoresis activity is designed to run with the STEM electrophoresis kit
- The STEM electrophoresis teacher demonstration kit provides sufficient materials for 2 student workstations
- The STEM electrophoresis classroom kit provides sufficient materials for 8 student workstations with up to 4 students per workstation
- The STEM electrophoresis engineering module is configured for 2 student workstations