The SmartSpec™ Plus spectrophotometer has a wider range of features and functions than many other benchtop spectrophotometers, offering performance, stability, and functionality at an affordable price.
The UV/visible SmartSpec Plus spectrophotomer has a working wavelength range of 200–800 nm. It is the perfect tool for routine applications such as:
- Quantitation of DNA, RNA, and oligonucleotides
- Quantitation of proteins via the Bradford, Lowry, and BCA assay methods
- Monitoring bacterial culture growth
- Simple kinetic assays
- Wavelength scans with peak detection
A simple, menu-driven interface simplifies assays and provides answers to common sample computations at the touch of a button. Conversion factors can be stored and modified. The SmartSpec Plus spectrophotometer is capable of performing calculations and providing results that include:
- A260/A280 ratio for nucleic acid purity
- Quantitation that takes dilution factors into account
- Sample concentration in µg/ml (additionally in pmol/µl for oligonucleotides)
- Molar extinction coefficient and molecular weight of oligonucleotides
At the end of an assay, a report can be printed that shows the user's identification, date, and results.
Nucleic Acid Quantitation
The SmartSpec Plus spectrophotometer offers a complete solution for the quantitation of PCR products, nucleic acid preparations, or samples to be used in bacterial transfection protocols. dsDNA, ssDNA, or RNA can be quantitated by selecting from preprogrammed conversion factors or by entering a value that is best for the sample being assayed. The instrument provides absorbance values, concentration, and purity values so you can proceed confidently with your downstream experiments.
The SmartSpec Plus spectrophotometer also simplifies the quantitation of DNA and RNA oligonucleotides. When you enter the sequence, length, or composition, the spectrophotometer displays sample concentration in µg/ml and pmol/µl and automatically performs calculations of molar extinction coefficients and molecular weights.
The SmartSpec Plus spectrophotometer has preprogrammed methods for quantitating proteins by the Bradford, Lowry, and BCA methods. Features built into each assay method facilitate data collection and present a complete analysis of assay results. The easy-to-follow menu guides you through the entire assay, ensuring that all standards and replicates are read.
- Standards can be analyzed in groups of up to 9 replicates
- Up to 10 standard curves can be stored under user-assigned names
- Mean and standard deviation values are automatically calculated for each replicate group
- Printable report includes a standard curve with r2 value
The SmartSpec Plus spectrophotometer also features:
- Built-in printer
- A Xenon flash lamp that extends lamp life and reduces maintenance costs
- A user interface with a choice of 6 languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, or Spanish
- Spectral scans from 200 to 800 nm
- Easy-to-use, menu-driven operation
- Compact, space-saving design