VivaFix™ Cell Viability Assays assist researchers in accurately discriminating between live and dead cells in fixed or unfixed samples by flow cytometry or cell sorting.
The proprietary components of VivaFix Fixable Viability Dyes covalently bind to free primary amines: in live cells, these fixable viability dyes bind to the cell surface primary amines. In dead cells, where the membrane is compromised, the dyes are able to permeate the cells and also react with intracellular primary amines (Figure 1). Due to the greater amount of accessible free amines, the dying cells acquire a brighter fluorescence compared to the live cells, allowing the live and dead cell populations to be easily distinguished.
Fig. 1. VivaFix Cell Viability Assay chemistry. A, live cell with VivaFix Dye bound to surface primary amines. B, dead cell with VivaFix Dye bound to surface and intracellular primary amines.
- Compatible with fixed and unfixed cells
- Provides unbiased discrimination between live and dead cell populations — at least 100-fold difference in fluorescence intensity
- Offered in a wide range of excitation and emission spectra to fit any multicolor experiment
The following DNA-binding cell viability assays are also available to assess the health of your cells of interest:
Bio-Rad also offers reagents and consumables to complete each step of flow cytometry experiments:
- Cell proliferation assays — easily incorporate 1 of 5 cell proliferation dyes into your multicolor experiment to monitor cell health or cell division
- Antibody labeling kits — label your antibody of interest in 2 easy steps without a purification column
- Primary antibodies — use high-quality monoclonal and polyclonal primary antibodies for applications ranging from stem cell, immunology, and cell biology to veterinary research
Learn more about the features of the S3™ Cell Sorter and its associated consumables and accessories.
Both VivaFix Dyes and ReadiLink Antibody Labeling Kits and can be used with the ZOE™ Fluorescent Cell Imager.